Saturday, 21 April 2012
EPASS -Electronic Payment and application System of Schoarships -The complete ICT enabled online scholarships scheme of Government of Andhra Pradesh-The VISION,OBJECTIVES &GOALS of the scheme:-
EPASS,THE ONLINE SCHEME OF POSTMATRIC SCHOLARSHIPS is the prestigious flagship programme of Govt of AP.EPASS is completely ICT enabled web based Government-to-Citizen and Government to Government service, administering the online transfer of scholarship money to around 25.5 lakh Below Poverty Line students belonging to the bottom of the pyramid, studying in 1200 different professional, degree, post graduate courses and reimbursement of tution fee of these students to 12000 colleges in 60 universities spread over urban and Rural areas of 1100 Mandals in 23 Districts of Andhra Pradesh. It is an efficient and effective e governance tool helping in minimising corruption and ensuring transparency, fairness, equality, speed and economy in service delivery.
Vision, objectives and goals:
The broad vision is to give G2C, B2C ,G2G services in fair and speedy manner thereby minimising corruption and ensuring transparency. To achieve this all the stakeholders’ inputs are taken and a low cost, fail safe, ICT based e governance tool ‘ePASS’ is evolved that involves four Government Departemts like SC (Scheduled Castes) Welfare, Tribal Welfare, BC (Backward Classes) Welfare and Disabled Welfare. Sanction of Scholarships to the students of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Backward Classes is one of the important welfare measures of the Government aimed at their educational upliftment. The Government of Andhra Pradesh is providing financial assistance to the Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, Backward Class, Disabled, and Economically Backward Class students studying post matriculation courses on saturation approach to enable them to complete their education. The scholarship is paid in two parts - RTF and MTF RTF: Reimbursement of Tuition Fee in full for students pursuing post matric courses approved by the University/Board. This fee is paid to the colleges MTF: Maintenance charges or Mess charges are sanctioned and paid to the students The main thrust is to give these services in a strategic and inexpensive manner.
OBJECTIVES: • Speed - simplify the sanction process. sanction the scholarships within a given time-frame. The simple and user friendly workflows in ePASS help the District officers to quickly process the appplications and pay the scholarships.
• Fairness and equality – The student applies online without interference from any one and the onward proceesing of the application happens automatically without any individual discretion. Once the sanctions are given by the District officer, the sanction proceedings and the bills are auto generated based on the fee structure available in masters. So students studyinng in the same college, same year and same course get the same fee and all the students who applied are given scholarships unless they are disqualified for sanction due to the following reasons - o Students belonging to the categories other than SC, ST, BC, EBC and DW(Disabled). o Whose parental income is more than Rupees One lakh. o All Students pursuing the part time courses, online courses. o Students admitted under Sponsored seats, Management Quota seats. o Students drawing the stipend more than the scholarship amount in aggregate per annum. o Students of BC, EBC and DW students studying the Courses offered by open universities, distant mode, category B seats in MBBS, BDS. o EBC students studying Intermediate or equivalent courses
• Transparency: Information on the processes being followed, the colleges and their fee structure is available in the website. The names of the students /colleges to whom reimbursement of scholarship has been made are also available in website. The status of each application and the details of fund transfer are available for the students and the colleges in their individual logins. Further they can also find out from phone by calling the PMU centre.
• Accountability: Details of personnel and officials involved in implementation at each stage are being logged into the system increasing the accountability. Time lines for each stage of processing are set in and strictly monitored. Alerts in the individual logins and exception reports to higher offficials help in stramlining the administration.
• Efficiency: The computer based acceptance of applications ensures that it is complete in all respects and transaction based reports is helping in improving the efficiency of the system. As the information is readily available in web site and a call centre is established at PMU, the field officers are getting quality time to concerntrate on their inspections and increase their output.
• Savings and convenience: Middlemen are eliminated. Application by the student is directly received online and sanctions are given as per as per time schedule. There is no need for personal follow-ups thus saving on the time, effort and money needed for such trips to the offices . The application is web based. Students can browse for information from their place of stay and irrespective of location or time all the stakeholders can seek information and offer their feedback for further improving the system.
GOALS: The final goal is to ensure that each Below Poverty Line student belonging to any of the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Bacward classes, other Backward Classes or Disabled category doeasnot discontinue higher studies due to lack of finances.
Target groups and impact:
The project mainly focuses on students. They are able to get the scholarship directly into their accounts. They are able to concentrate on studies and as the status of their application is available on internet at the click of a button they need not run around the offices. Indirectly their parents are benefited since they are able to send their children to higher studies without any worry about finances. The officers at all levels are also benefited as the workflows in the ePASS application are user friendly and decision enabling. The reports are transaction based and they need not waste their time in preparing the reports. These reports help them to monitor the programme efficiently.